All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.23
About this product
- DescriptionCurrently, linguistic mirity students - students who speak a language other than English at home - represent 21% of the entire K-12 student population and 11% of the college student population. Bringing together emerging scholarship on the growing number of college-bound linguistic mirity students in the K-12 pipeline, this ground-breaking volume showcases new research on these students' preparation for, access to, and persistence in college. Other than studies of their linguistic challenges and writing and academic literacy skills in college, little is kwn about the broader issues of linguistic mirity students' access to and success in college. Examining a variety of factors and circumstances that influence the process and outcome, the scope of this book goes beyond students' language proficiency and its impact on college education, to look at issues such as student race/ethnicity, gender, SES, and parental education and expectations. It also addresses structural factors in schooling including tracking, segregation of English learners from English-fluent peers, availability and support of institutional personnel, and collegiate student identity and campus climate. Presenting state-of-the-art kwledge and mapping out a future research agenda in an extremely important and yet understudied area of inquiry, this book advances kwledge in ways that will have a real impact on policy regarding linguistic mirity immigrant students' higher education opportunities.
- Author BiographyYasuko Kanno is Associate Professor of TESOL in the College of Education, Temple University. Linda Harklau is Professor of the Teaching Additional Languages program and the Linguistics program at the University of Georgia.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication23/04/2012
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note23 black & white tables
- Weight521 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Edited byLinda Harklau,Yasuko Kanno
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.