All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe third edition of The Nobile Folios explores Linked Figures, a marvellous multilayered bronze conceived early in Kenneth Armitage s career, yet a work that in many ways captures his complete oeuvre. Two figures as one (or perhaps one figure as two) play against each other creating, simultaneously, harmony and discord.Set alongside Aristophanes celebrated speech on the origin of love in Plato s Symposium, the folio is an audacious attempt to reflect and to recreate on paper the inherent tension of this highly-textured three- dimensional work. It does so by means of bold photography and stimulating layout, and, of course, through the juxtaposition of words. The great Athenian playwright who thought that originally humans were brawny globular creatures equipped with four hands, four legs, two faces on a circular neck, and comprised of three sexes creates a magnificent and entertaining backdrop that allows a fresh reading of Linked Figures.
- Author BiographyKenneth Armitage(1916 -2002 ) was a British sculptor known for his semiabstract bronzes.Plato was a ClassicalGreekphilosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world.
- Author(s)Kenneth Armitage,Plato
- PublisherSylph Editions
- Date of Publication30/06/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleNobile Folios
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSylph Editions
- Content Note15 full colour
- Weight188 g
- Width237 mm
- Height278 mm
- Spine3 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.