All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionLiquid Crystals, Laptops and Life connects the laptop computer with life itself via liquid crystals, the phases of matter essential to both. In the process it provides an integrated introduction to those parts of chemistry and physics that are necessary for understanding the basic science and techlogy embedded in the laptop and in life. This book can be understood by students with a good background in high school chemistry and physics; yet it can also serve as a primer for scientists who are t well versed in the areas covered. The first section of the book is devoted to discussion of basic concepts of chemistry and physics. The second section applies these concepts and extends them to three classes of materials that make the laptop possible: liquid crystals, polymers, and semiconductors. The first two classes of materials relate naturally to the molecules essential to life, thus providing an introduction to this area in an independent chapter. The third section focuses on the applied science and techlogy of semiconductors, digital devices, and computers, as well as liquid crystal displays. This section concludes by illustrating how these materials and techlogies are combined in and make possible the laptop computer. The final section discusses applications of liquid crystals to the arts and to life. Each chapter rounds off with references to more advanced literature, exercises that test the reader's understanding, and open-ended questions that encourage the reader to explore the topics in greater depth.
- Author(s)Michael R. Fisch
- PublisherWorld Scientific Publishing Co Pte Ltd
- Date of Publication09/07/2004
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleWorld Scientific Series in Contemporary Chemical Physics
- Series Part/Volume Numberv.23
- Place of PublicationSingapore
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- ImprintWorld Scientific Publishing Co Pte Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.