All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionChildren learn about number by talking and doing. This book offers closely observed accounts of what children in their early years and at primary school say and do. Some arise from classrooms; others are based on interviews and day to day interactions. Together they illuminate the learning, and therefore the teaching, of mathematics to young children.The first chapters look at early mathematical development at home and show how parents and grandparents can enhance learning. A study of a primary class responding to fractions illustrates how the children listen to each other's ideas. A group of children considered to have challenging behaviour discuss what helps and hinders their learning as they work on a project on robots. Ufficial talk is also revealing, as the observation of children in the bottom set for mathematics demonstrates. And when working with bilingual pupils, what happens when the children teach the adult to count in their language - one the adult doesn't kw?This range of observations, research and practice will be of immense value to all primary and early years teachers and to families wishing to develop their children's numeracy.
- Author BiographyJenny Houssart is senior lecturer at the Institute of Education, University of London. John Mason is Professor of Mathematics Education at the Centre for Mathematics Education at the Open University. Listening Figures, A companion volume examining practice in secondary schools and beyond, also edited by Jenny Houssart and John Mason, is forthcoming.
- PublisherInstitute of Education Press
- Date of Publication16/02/2009
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationStoke-on-Trent
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTrentham Books Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byJenny Houssart,John Mason
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.