All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe discovery and development of shortwave techlogy during the 1920s and 1930s permitted radio stations throughout the world to transmit their programs over long distances, even worldwide, for the first time, and the thrill of hearing broadcasts from faraway places produced a dedicated American audience. Developments in shortwave broadcasting and shortwave listening from their inception through the war years were covered in On the Short Waves, 1923-1945: Broadcast Listening in the Pioneer Days of Radio, published by McFarland in 1999. This book picks up the story in 1945, describing the resumption of organized shortwave listening after the war and its development in the years since. The companion volume, Broadcasting on the Short Waves, 1945 to Today, focuses on the world's shortwave stations. Written from the standpoint of the serious shortwave enthusiast, this book begins with an examination of the broader shortwave listening audience. It then presents in detail the histories of the major North American shortwave clubs and reviews the professional and listener-generated shortwave literature of the era. It also covers the DX programs and other listening fare to which shortwave listeners were most attracted and the QSL-cards they sought as confirmation of their reception. The book presents a chrology of the shortwave receivers available and discusses how changes in receiver techlogy impacted the listening experience. It also addresses the important role that computers have played in the shortwave listening of recent decades. The book is richly illustrated and indexed, and features extensive tes to facilitate further reading or research.
- Author BiographyJerome S. Berg, an attorney, was the court administrator for the Massachusetts District Court system until his retirement. He has been a shortwave listener for half a century, and is a member of the executive council of the North American Shortwave Association and chair of the Committee to Preserve Radio Verifications.
- Author(s)Jerome S. Berg
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/09/2010
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note120 photos, notes, bibliography, index
- Weight739 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.19
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.