Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionLiterary Nonfiction: Learning by Example examines the principles and techniques of the genre by taking a close, analytical look at outstanding contemporary essays by fifteen highly accomplished writers. Featuring examples of memoir, profile, literary journalism, medical reporting, and travel writing, it includes selections by Madeleine Blais, Tim Cahill, James Conaway, Joan Didion, David Finkel, Jon Franklin, Tom Hallman, Jr., Walt Harrington, Tracy Kidder, Jane Kramer, John McPhee, Michael Paterniti, Mike Sager, Susan Sheehan, and Tom Wolfe. Each selection is carefully antated to show students what makes it a good piece of writing and what technical and stylistic devices the author uses for effect. In addition to extensive analyses by editor Patsy Sims, the writers comment on their own work, emphasizing how important the skill of careful, critical reading is to learning how to write well. Each essay is preceded by an introduction that presents a specific aspect of the literary nfiction writing craft, the writer's biographical information, and an explanation of how the selection was put together. Ideal for courses in creative writing and literary journalism, Literary Nonfiction: Learning by Example is also a helpful guide for all aspiring creative nfiction writers.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/2001
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Weight461 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byPatsy Sims
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.