All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe ancestry of the Spitfire can be traced back to the failed Supermarine Type 224, designed to meet the Air Ministry specification F.7/30 by Reginald J. Mitchell, creator of the magnificent Supermarine seaplanes which won three successive Schneider Trophy contests. The Type 224 was a gull-winged moplane with a fixed trousered undercarriage, powered by a 600-h.p. Rolls-Royce engine, and Mitchell was dissatisfied with it even before it flew. He began to design a new aircraft as a private venture; the conception was revised twice, to incorporate the new P.V.12 (Merlin) engine and an eight-gun battery and the final design was accepted by the Air Ministry in January 1935, the new specification F.37/34 being written around it for contract purposes. The prototype first flew on 5th March 1936. Little book of Spitfire provides a concise history of this great WW2 fighter planes.
- Author BiographyDavid Curnock has always had a passion for aeroplanes. This was reflected in his career choice as an aircraft engineer in the Royal Air Force, where he spent the first twenty-three years of his working life. After leaving the RAF he joined a specialist technical publications company, writing technical manuals for military customers. Eventually, his passion for aviation resurfaced, resulting in his writing several aviation titles, including: Little Book of Flight, The Royal Air Force - The Memorabilia Collection, Little Book of Spitfire, Little Book of Concorde, RAF Aircraft of WWII, and Heroes of the Skies.
- Author(s)Phillip Raby
- PublisherG2 Entertainment Ltd
- Date of Publication18/09/2014
- SubjectAircraft & Spacecraft: General Interest
- Place of PublicationGravesend
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintG2 Entertainment Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine15 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.