All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $26.75Trending at AU $27.54
- AU $69.00Trending at AU $71.27
- AU $25.33Trending at AU $28.27
- AU $31.38Trending at AU $33.57
- AU $12.37Trending at AU $13.00
- AU $11.33Trending at AU $13.39
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $31.32
About this product
- DescriptionIt's a cold December night and Fancy, the Stegner family's cow, is about to give birth. Out pops Little Joe, a huge bull calf, and with him comes nine-year-old Eli's first chance to raise an animal to show at next fall's county fair. Over the next ten months, Eli, and Little Joe, learn some hard lessons about growing up and what it means to take on bigger responsibilities, especially when it comes to taking care of ather living thing. But one thing Eli is trying t to think about is what will happen to Little Joe after the fair: it's auction time, and he'll have to sell Little Joe! In this appealing and heartwarming story that's reminiscent of James Herriot's books, Eli comes to terms with some of the realities of life on his family's farm, and in the outside world, as he raises his first bull calf for competition. Told in a straightforward and appealing text, brimming with lush details about the natural world of the farm, and with characters that are sure to appeal to readers, Eli's story is one that may t be familiar to every kid, but the themes of growing up and learning some difficult lessons will appeal to kids and adults alike. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographySandra Neil Wallace is a former television sportscaster at ESPN and has written for various magazines for both children and adults. Until recently she lived next door to a family-owned and -operated cattle farm in eastern Pennsylvania, which provided the inspiration for her debut novel, Little Joe, as well as much of the technical information in the book. She now lives in Keene, New Hampshire, with her husband and fellow Knopf author, Rich Wallace. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Sandra Neil Wallace
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/09/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight136 g
- Width130 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Illustrator(s)Professor of Judaic Studies Mark Elliott
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.