All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is secret that Louisa May Alcott rewrote t only herself but also her mother, father and sisters in Little Women . Yet how well do we grasp the significance of her impulse? This study focuses on Alcott's personal and creative motivations in fashioning an idealized family in her vel and gives us new ways to view both the fictional Marches and the real-world Alcotts. Drawing on Freud's essay Family Romances and his related work on children's daydreams and fantasies, the author reads Little Women in terms of the burgeoning hostility and longing eroticism and ambition each March child experiences as she matures and begins to look beyond her parents for a new primary love. Keyser also reads Little Women in the context of the torrid sensational stories aimed at lower class readers (which Alcott also wrote) that we commonly equate with the term romance , as well as the sophisticated psychological romantic ideals associated with the vels of Nathaniel Hawthorne (whom Alcott knew and read). Readers have long regarded Little Women as Jo March's story. The insights offered here nudge us toward viewing the vel as the story of the entire March family, a more satisfying inclusive view for, as Keyser writes, the relationships among the March sisters and their mother are more compelling than the development of any one character, t excluding Jo .
- Author BiographyElizabeth Lennox Keyser is an associate professor of American and children's literature at Hollins University.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Lennox Keyser
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2000
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight218 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.46
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.12
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $55.99
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.