All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $29.33Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionLiverpool in Old Photographs brings to life the history of a famous port and city over the past century. Concentrating on its varied shipping and unparalleled waterfront, its historic streets and buildings of outstanding architectural interest, together with the lives of ordinary citizens, this well-illustrated book affords an opportunity to look back on what has w become a 'city of change and challenge'. Driven by poverty, cholera and unemployment, thousands flocked to the city in the 19th century, hoping to either settle there or to use it as a springboard to a better life through the cheap means of escape offered by the shipping companies. Jobs in the New World and wealth in the Australian gold fields beckoned, but overcrowding resulted in slums developing alongside some of the finest buildings in Europe. Pride in achievement and strength in adversity, coupled with grit and humour, characterise this 'Scouse' port, imbuing it with a phoenix-like quality of survival. This book, with over 200 photographs tells a great story.
- Author BiographyCatherine Rothwell has written widely on local history, including My Lancashire Chldhood and Fleetwood: A Pictorial History.
- Author(s)Catherine Rothwell
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication23/01/2009
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTempus Publishing Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight310 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.