All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe 1980s were a time of turmoil and upheaval for Liverpool. Unemployment and ecomic instability led to widespread disquiet, culminating in public shows of resistance such as the 1981 Toxteth Riots. Liverpool also elected its first Labour council in 1983, who promised to stand up for what they saw as unjust cuts under the Thatcher government. However, the people of Liverpool were strong in the face of this upheaval, and glimpses of light can be found in dark times. As official photographer for the Militant, Dave Sinclair's stunning images show a city that refused to lie down in the face of adversity. Featuring over 150 contemporary photographs, Liverpool in the 1980s pays tribute to the constancy of the Liverpudlian spirit. From citywide protests to intimate portraits, this volume is a unique insight into the recent history of one of Britain's most inspirational cities.
- Author BiographyDave Sinclair was born in 1959 in Walton, Liverpool. By 1980, he was studying Art at Liverpool Polytechnic, where he developed an interest in the Liverpool urban landscape. Surrounded by derelict factories and docks, Dave started documenting his surroundings, processing and printing in black and white in a darkroom he built himself. He soon realised that photography was what he wanted to do for a living. In 1982, Dave joined the Militant and became involved in activities supporting Liverpool Labour Council's battle against Thatcher's cuts, travelling all over the country and documenting events with his photography. In 1986 he accepted a job as a photographer with the Militant and moved to London, making regular trips back to Liverpool to see his family. Dave has worked as official photographer for Tower Hamlets council since 2000. His photographs have been featured in several exhibitions, including 'The Dockers' which was exhibited in London Liverpool and extensively abroad, The 'School Student Strike' at the Bluecoat in Liverpool and 'Thatcher, Liverpool and the 80s' in Shoreditch.
- Author(s)Dave Sinclair
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/10/2014
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note160
- Weight522 g
- Width246 mm
- Height168 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Foreword byJimmy McGovern
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.40
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.95
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.84
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.