All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionOxford Classical Texts, also kwn as Scriptorum Classicorum Bibliotheca Oxoniensis, provide authoritative, clear, and reliable editions of ancient texts. Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars-the collected biographies of the Roman Empire's first leaders-is an indispensable source for our understanding of the first century of the Roman Empire and is, at the same time, one of the main sources (with Plutarch) of the tradition of biographical writing in the West. This volume provides the first new critical edition of the Latin text to appear in over a century, and has been rigorously edited to the highest standards of scholarship. The Latin text is accompanied by a critical apparatus at the foot of the page which provides concise information on manuscript and textual variants. It is also the first edition ever to base itself on a comprehensive and accurate analysis of the medieval manuscript tradition (ninth to thirteenth centuries) on which the text is based. An extensive English preface-featuring illustrative stemmata-is included, as well as a detailed apparatus testium. It also features an updated version of the editor's original 1995 Oxford University Press edition of De grammaticis et rhetoribus, a collection of brief biographies of ancient Roman teachers of grammar and rhetoric (first century BCE-first century CE) that is a crucial source for the history of ancient education. This Oxford Classical Text is accompanied by a companion volume, Studies on the Text of Suetonius' De uita Caesarum, which provides a detailed insight into the research and textual analysis underlying this critical edition.
- Author BiographyRobert A. Kaster is Professor of Classics and Kennedy Foundation Professor of Latin Language and Literature at Princeton University.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication14/07/2016
- Series TitleOxford Classical Texts
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight632 g
- Width139 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Edited byRobert A. Kaster
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.