All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA stunning volume of epic breadth which connects the lives and works of over 300 English-language poets of the last 700 years. LIVES OF THE POETS traverses the landscapes of biography, form, cultural pressures and important historical moments to tell t just a history of English poetry, but the story of English as a language. 'Astonishing' New York Times. 'Deft critical judgements, lightness of touch, the ability both to examine minutely and to generalize boldly - this book is both a tonic and a continuing pleasure' Independent. 'A celebration of poetry in the shape of a history from Chaucer up to the present day. A book to put into the hands of any young man or woman beginning to be aware that poetry is the glory of our language' Scotsman. 'A masterly exercise of cogency and compression' Times Literary Supplement.
- Author BiographyMichael Schmidt is the founder and editorial director of Carcanet Press, publisher of poetry and fiction. He is the editor of PN Review, which he established in 1972, and director of the Writing School at Manchester University.
- Author(s)Michael Schmidt
- PublisherHead of Zeus
- Date of Publication28/08/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHead of Zeus
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.