All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLiving Off Crime describes highly active property offenders who commit themselves to careers in serious property crimes such as burglary and armed robbery. This book takes the unique approach of situating these criminal careers within the fundamental sociological concepts of social class, criminal subcultures, and consciousness. Tunnell brings class back into the dialogue of property crime among the highly criminally active and ecomically marginalized, and gives considerable treatment to the subcultural values of this group. Repetitive property offenders also demonstrate a particular consciousness, which is used as an organizing motif throughout the book. Their consciousness indicates little of class commitment or anti-systemic recognition and strategy, but rather is described as street-centered, hedonistic anarchy as indicated by their disparate crimes against lower- and working-class individuals. The book does t igre the politics of their behaviors; rather it describes their actions as political yet absent politicized class-based consciousness and strategies.
- Author BiographyKenneth D. Tunnell is professor of criminology at Eastern Kentucky University. His previous books include Choosing Crime (Nelson-Hall, 1992), Political Crime in Contemporary America (Garland, 1994) and Pissing on Demand: Workplace Drug Testing and the Rise of the Detox Industry (New York University Press, 2004). His articles have appeared in journals such as Justice Quarterly, Deviant Behavior, Qualitative Sociology, and Journal of Popular Culture.
- Author(s)Kenneth D. Tunnell
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication22/12/2005
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight345 g
- Width149 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.