All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $115.99Trending at AU $139.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.00
- AU $68.62Trending at AU $90.31
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $37.74Trending at AU $39.42
- AU $17.48Trending at AU $19.81
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.15
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the development of a sociology of embodiment in the context of women's lives in contemporary, urban India. Through a critical analysis of gender and class, the author unravels the complexities that are intrinsic to the multi-layered and fluid construction of woman's identity in relation to embodiment. Living the Body: Embodiment, Womanhood and Identity in Contemporary India is the first book that unfolds an understanding of women's experience of embodiment by a careful analysis of the facts gathered from an Indian metropolis. The author brings out numerous voices representing multiple subjectivities through interviews of working class slum women, professional upper class women, adolescent young women in secondary schools and in a slum, and the visual and textual representation of women in a women's magazine in English. The book will be a compelling read for academicians and students working in the fields of sociology, women's studies, communication and media studies, anthropology, sexuality and gender studies. It would also interest a wide urban readership, especially NGOs and all those concerned about women's and gender issues.
- Author BiographyMeenakshi Thapan is Professor of sociology at the Delhi School of Economics and Co-ordinator of the D.S. Kothari Centre for Science, Ethics and Education at the University of Delhi. She was Co-ordinator of the European Study Centre Programme, University of Delhi (January 2010-March 2012) and country partner (India) for the EU FP7 Project on EuroBroadMap. She is Series Editor for the series on Women and Migration in Asia, Volumes 1-5 (SAGE 2005-2008) and editor of Vol. 1: Transnational Migration and the Politics of Identity (SAGE 2005). She has also published Life at School (1991, 2006), Living the Body (SAGE 2009) and edited Embodiment: Essays on Gender and Identity (1997), Anthropological Journeys (1998), Contested Spaces. Citizenship and Belonging in Contemporary Times (2010) and (with Roland Lardinois) Reading Pierre Bourdieu in a Dual Context. Essays from India and France (2006).
- Author(s)Meenakshi Thapan
- PublisherSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Date of Publication11/01/2008
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintSAGE India
- Weight386 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.