All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionBipolar disorder, also kwn as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in a person's mood, energy, and ability to function. The main symptoms of are mood swings, ranging from extreme happiness (mania) to extreme sadness or depression which can last several weeks or more. Different from the rmal ups and downs that everyone goes through, symptoms are severe. They can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and there is an increased risk suicide. The good news is that bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives. Bipolar disorder affects around one in 100 people, and typically develops in late adolescence or early adulthood, affecting women and men equally. Often t recognized as an illness, it can cause years of suffering before it is properly diagsed and treated. Like diabetes or heart disease, bipolar disorder is a long-term illness that must be carefully managed throughout a person's life. This book looks at: what is bipolar disorder - types (Bipolar 1, Bipolar 11) and symptoms; diagsis including differential diagses eg other psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia, thyroid disorders, arexia nervosa, cerebrovascular event, dementia; management - psychological therapy, including CBT; management - drug therapy; self-management - planning and preventing episodes; alternative therapies that help; and, other strategies eg exercise.
- Author BiographyNeel Burton is a psychiatrist practising in Oxford with a specialist interest in neuroscience and philosophy. He is author of the Living with Schizophrenia, Sheldon Press, 2007, which won the Medical Journalists' Association Open Book Award 2008, and was commended in the 2008 British Medical Association Medical Book Competition.
- Author(s)Neel Burton
- PublisherSPCK Publishing
- Date of Publication22/01/2009
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSheldon Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.