Living with Shakespeare: Essays by Writers, Actors, and Directors by Random House USA Inc(Paperback / softback)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $27.44+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.34+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionWhy Shakespeare? What explains our continued fascination with his poems and plays? In Living with Shakespeare, Susannah Carson invites forty actors, directors, scholars, and writers to reflect on why his work is still such a vital part of our culture. We hear from James Earl Jones on reclaiming Othello as a tragic hero, Julie Taymor on turning Prospero into Prospera, Camille Paglia on teaching the plays to actors, F. Murray Abraham on gaining an audience s sympathy for Shylock, Sir Ben Kingsley on communicating Shakespeare s ideas through performance, Germaine Greer on the playwright s home life, Dame Harriet Walter on the complexity of his heroines, Brian Cox on social conflict in his time and ours, Jane Smiley on transposing King Lear to Iowa in A Thousand Acres, and Sir Antony Sher on feeling at home in Shakespeare s language. Together these essays provide a fresh appreciation of Shakespeare s works as a living legacy to be read, seen, performed, adapted, revised, wrestled with, and embraced by creative professionals and lay enthusiasts alike. F. Murray Abraham Isabel Allende Cicely Berry Eve Best Elear Brown Stanley Cavell Karin Coonrod Brian Cox Peter David Margaret Drabble Dominic Dromgoole David Farr Fiasco Theater Ralph Fiennes Angus Fletcher James Franco Alan Gordon Germaine Greer Barry John James Earl Jones Sir Ben Kingsley Maxine Hong Kingston Rory Kinnear J. D. McClatchy Cor McCreery Tobias Menzies Joyce Carol Oates Camille Paglia James Prosek Richard Scholar Sir Antony Sher Jane Smiley Matt Sturges Julie Taymor Eamonn Walker Dame Harriet Walter Bill Willingham Jess Winfield
- Author BiographySusannah Carson is an American author, editor, and academic. She received her Ph.D. from Yale, after earning graduate degrees at Paris III, La Sorbonne-Nouvelle and Lyon II, L Universite des Lumieres.Her first edited volume of literaryessays was A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Great Authors on Why We Read Jane Austen. Her work has appeared in scholarly publications, newspapers, and magazines.
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintRandom House USA Inc
- Content Noteblack & white halftones
- Weight485 g
- Width121 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edited bySusannah Carson
- Foreword bySterling Professor of the Humanities Harold Bloom
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $96.58
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.