All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Llandud is more stylish than either Rhyl or Blackpool and t dearer', observed Edwardian author Arld Bennett. Prime Minister Lloyd George considered the resort a perfect tonic, advising colleagues 'to come to Llandud is a great pick-me-up'. An 1890 visit by romantic velist and erstwhile Queen of Romania, Carmen Sylva prompted a description so apt it was adopted as the town's official motto, 'A Beautiful Haven of Peace'. To everyone Llandud evokes an era of quiet traditional seaside pleasures but has the town entirely escaped the destructive winds of change? The 1933 Official Guide to Llandud advised prospective holidaymakers, As a holiday centre Llandud has rival. All the glorious scenery of North Wales is easily accessible by train, coach, motor or steamerA and the Broadway Garage, Craig-y-don was at hand to supply motors or drivers as required. Times change and Broadway Garage longer supplies Rover cars, charabancs or chauffeurs but instead sells German and Japanese cars and self-service petrol. This collection of then and w photographs meticulously compiled and researched by the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of Llandud & Colwyn Bay History Society offers a unique insight into the changing fortunes of 'The Queen of the Welsh Resorts'.
- Author BiographyJohn Lawson-Reay was a self employed freelance press photographer and film maker in Llandudno and worked as a contractor to BBC TV for 37 years, twice winning Royal TV Society awards. He is Chairman of the Llandudno and Colwyn Bay History Society and a trustee of Llandudno museum and lectures on local history as well as writing a monthly column for the North Wales Weekly News.
- Author(s)Christopher Draper,John Lawson-Reay
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication01/08/2010
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine9 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.