All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThe Roman ecomy was operated significantly above subsistence level, with production being stimulated by both taxation and trade. Some regions became wealthy on the basis of exporting low-value agricultural products across the Mediterranean. In contrast, it has usually been assumed that the high costs of land transport kept inland regions relatively poor. This volume challenges these assumptions by presenting new research on production and exchange within inland regions. The papers, supported by detailed bibliographic essays, range from Britain to Jordan. They reveal robust agricultural ecomies in many interior regions. Here, some wealth did come from high value products, which could defy transport costs. However, ceramics also indicate local exchange systems, capable of generating wealth without being integrated into inter-regional trading networks. The role of the State in generating production and exchange is visible, but often co-existed with local market systems. Contributors are Alyssa A. Bandow, Fanny Bessard, Michel Bonifay, Kim Bowes, Stefa Costa, Jeremy Evans, Elizabeth Fentress, Piroska Harshegyi, Adam Izdebski, Luke Lavan, Tamara Lewit, Phil Mills, Katalin Ottomanyi, Peter Sarris, Emanuele Vaccaro, Agnes Vokaer, Mark Whittow and Andrea Zerbini.
- Author BiographyLuke Lavan is Lecturer in Archaeology at the University of Kent, Canterbury, where he co-ordinates the Centre for Late Antique Archaeology. His doctorate (2001) considered Provincial Capitals in Late Antiquity. He is series editor of Late Antique Archaeology and directed the Kent section of Kent-Berlin Late Antique Ostia Project 2008-2012.
- Date of Publication12/02/2015
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Weight1083 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Volume editorLuke Lavan
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.