Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionIn Local Histories , the contributors seek to challenge the widely held belief that the origin of American composition as a distinguishable discipline can be traced to a small number of elite colleges such as Harvard, Yale, and Michigan in the mid- to late nineteenth century. Through extensive archival research at liberal arts colleges, rmal schools, historically black colleges, and junior colleges, the contributors ascertain that many of these practices were actually in use prior to this time and were t the sole province of elite universities. Though t discounting the elites' influence, the findings conclude that composition developed in many locales concurrently. Individual chapters reflect on student responses to curricula, the influence of particular instructors or pedagogies in the context of compositional history, and the difficulties inherent in archival research. What emerges is an original and significant study of the developmental diversity within the discipline of composition that opens the door to further examination of local histories as guideposts to the origins of composition studies.
- Author BiographyPatricia Donahue is professor of English and director of the college writing program at Lafayette College. She is coauthor of The Elements (and Pleasures) of Difficulty and coeditor of Reclaiming Pedagogy: The Rhetoric of the Classroom. Gretchen Flesher Moon is professor of English, directs the writing center, and coordinates the college-wide writing program at Willamette University.
- PublisherUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2007
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitlePittsburgh Series in Composition, Literacy and Culture
- Place of PublicationPittsburgh PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Weight349 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byGretchen Flesher Moon,Patricia Donahue
- Foreword byMariolina Rizzi Salvatori,Jean Ferguson Carr
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.