All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThe Fellowship of Southern Writers was founded in 1987 under the inspiration of Cleanth Brooks for the purpose of encouraging excellence and recognizing distinction in southern letters. Membership is by invitation only, and the group meets biennially and bestows prizes in fiction, poetry, drama, and nfiction. Locales thus represents poetry of truly superlative quality, gathering works by Fellowship members and by esteemed writers who have won Fellowship awards for verse: A. R. Ammons, James Applewhite, Wendell Berry, Fred Chappell, Kelly Cherry, James Dickey, George Garrett, Rodney Jones, Andrew Hudgins, T. R. Hummer, Yusef Komunyakaa, Robert Morgan, Dave Smith, Henry Taylor, Ellen Bryant Voigt, Robert Penn Warren, and Charles Wright. Chosen by Fred Chappell, these poems reflect the truth that the general is most securely held to when in the grip of the particular. They are t just specific, t only regional, but tightly joined to highly detailed places within the southern sphere, wielding a far greater force and universal application than a placeless poetry might have. This southern gazette with mountains and valleys, forests and farms, rivers and marshes, graveyards and barrooms, as Fred Chappell describes the volume, offers a lyrical topography of the southern - and of the American - spirit that is inviting, entertaining, always surprising, and sometimes omius. Far from being of merely regional interest, Locales demonstrates that there is place, however small or remote or obscure, that cant call forth a resonant outcry of the heart.
- Author BiographyFred Chappell is the author of many poetry collections, including Spring Garden: New and Selected Poems and Family Gathering, as well as eight books of fiction. A native of western North Carolina, he teaches at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- PublisherLouisiana State University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2003
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationBaton Rouge
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLouisiana State University Press
- Weight236 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byFred Chappell
- Foreword byGeorge Garrett
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.