All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe cemeteries of Greater London have been a neglected area of the capital's history. They are filled t only with the remains of recent generations but also with a wealth of architectural and social history that is described here in an entertaining and eloquent narrative full of picturesque melancholy. London Cemeteries is a comprehensive guide and gazetteer to all 126 cemeteries within Greater London. Listed alphabetically and with a map to help locate them, for each cemetery it includes the address, the date of foundation, the owner, the size, a te on its history, development and current state, and the names, dates and major achievements of any teworthy people buried there. There are also chapters on the origins of London's cemeteries and cemetery history, planning, architecture and epitaphs. Illustrated throughout with both modern photographs and a wide range of rarely seen archive images, it is an essential source of information for anyone interested in London's social and architectural history, as well as biographical and genealogical researchers.
- Author BiographyHugh Meller is a former architectural advisor to the Victorian Society and a curator for the National Trust. Brian Parsons is the author of The London Way of Death (THP) and editor of the Funeral Service Journal. He lives in London.
- Author(s)Brian Parsons,Hugh Meller
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication28/06/2011
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1110 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edition Statement5th
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.87Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.