All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $16.66Trending at AU $30.84
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $32.98Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a unique collection: ordinary Londoners, in their own voices, tell about ordinary London lives. Interviews with over a hundred people in eight localities, from inner-city Battersea, to suburban Heston, to Greenhithe on the London fringe, have been edited with a linking commentary by Professor Sir Peter Hall. The first half, London Voices , introduces the characters - their hopes and aspirations, their frustrations and struggles, their determination and optimism. The second, London Lives , introduces the themes that dominate their everyday lives: the struggle to keep their heads above water, the search for a place to live, the hassle of the journey to work, their friends and neighbours, their concerns about crime, and the quality of their everyday lives. This is t only an extraordinary social record but also a compelling read for anyone and everyone interested in today's London, or in any other great global city. It will provide a mine of information for future historians on one of the world's greatest cities and will be of special academic or professional interest to sociologists, anthropologists, geographers, planners and social policymakers.
- Author BiographyPeter Hall is Professor of Planning and Regeneration at the Bartlett School of Architecture and Planning, University College London. Author, co-author or editor of over 35 books on urban and regional planning and related topics, he received the Gold Medal of the Royal Town Planning Institute in 2003 and the Balzan International Prize in 2005.
- Author(s)Peter Hall
- PublisherPolicy Press
- Date of Publication10/07/2007
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolicy Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight780 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.