All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Anders Breivik in Norway, who murdered scores of young people in a bombing and mass-shooting attack, to Omar Mateen, the Orlando killer who perpetrated the worst mass shooting in American history, lone wolves have demonstrated that they can be as dangerous as organized terrorist groups. Who are these terrorists and what can be done about them? An internationally rewned terrorism expert presents the first comprehensive treatment of this important issue. After delving into the diversity in motivations and backgrounds of lone wolf terrorists, Simon makes the following key points about this growing threat: lone wolves have proven to be more creative and dangerous than many terrorist groups; lone wolves are t just Islamist extremists but can be found among all types of political and religious ideologies; the Internet has provided the perfect breeding ground for isolated individuals with terrorist tendencies, but it may also prove to be their undoing; there are few women in this category, but this is likely to change in the coming years; and the common perception that thing can be done about lone wolves is wrong. In fact, invative strategies and policies can be developed to both prevent and respond to this type of terrorism. Drawing on his more than twenty-five years of experience studying terrorism, Simon has produced an insightful book that is essential reading for anyone concerned about the potential terrorist threats from violence-prone individuals in our midst. This paperback edition contains a new preface by the author, which reviews lone-wolf incidents since the publication of the original edition.
- Author BiographyJeffrey D. Simon, Ph.D. (Santa Monica, CA), is president of Political Risk Assessment Company, Inc. and a visiting lecturer at UCLA. A former RAND Corporation analyst, he is the author of The Terrorist Trap: America's Experience with Terrorism, which received a starred review in Publishers Weekly. His writings on terrorism have appeared in many publications, including the Journal of the American Medical Association, Foreign Policy, and the New York Times. Dr. Simon is also on the editorial board of the Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence.
- Author(s)Brian Michael Jenkins,Jeffrey D. Simon
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication03/10/2016
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.