All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs one of the earliest properties pioneered rth of the twenty-sixth parallel in the Roebourne District of the Pilbara, Karratha Station harbours a fascinating history. The 120,000 hectares, with its sixty-five kilometres of coastal boundary, was utopia to the Leslie family - who lived there from 1929-1966 - and the Aboriginal community with whom they shared their lives. Cyclones brought elimination, drought and fire brought devastation, WWII brought deprivation, an atomic explosion nearby brought anxiety. But in a physically challenging climate the joy of rain, music, laughter and working the land they loved brought reward. Adults formed Tish's world, Aboriginal children were her companions, animals her soulmates. In Lonely for My Land, Tish Lees captivating narrative brings to life an era and area of the outback prior to industrialisation. Since then, mining has reshaped the Pilbara District of Western Australia.
- Author(s)Tish Lees
- PublisherSid Harta Publishers
- Date of Publication01/06/2010
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationHartwell
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintSid Harta Publishers
- Content Noteillustrations
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
Most relevant reviews
- murray302705 Sep, 2012by
I loved it
I bought this book because I have spent 28 years living in the Pilbara . So i can relate to the story.
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.06
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.13
- AU $10.97Trending at AU $14.49
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $35.84
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.26
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.86
- AU $43.43Trending at AU $48.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.