All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionDonald Smith, kwn to most Canadians as Lord Strathcona, was an adventurer who made his fortune building railroads. He joined the Hudson's Bay Company at age eighteen and went on to build the first railway to open the Canadian Northwest to settlement. As his crowning achievement, he drove the last spike for the nation-building Canadian Pacific Railway. In 1896, Smith became Canada's High Commissioner in London and was soon elevated to the peerage. He became a generous benefactor to Canadian institutions. This eminently readable biography brings to light new information, including details about Strathcona's personal life and his scandalous marriage.
- Author BiographyDonna McDonald is a writer and arts administrator who lives in London but works throughout Britain. She is the author of Illustrated News: The Canadian Pictures of Juliana Horatia Ewing (Dundurn 1985) and The Odyssey of the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble (Editions Bim, 1986). She is married to a fellow Canadian, writer Robert McDonald.
- Author(s)Donna McDonald
- PublisherDundurn Group Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2002
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDundurn Group Ltd
- Out-of-print date16/02/2015
- Content Note30 b/w photos
- Weight944 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.