All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 2012 the Center for Land Use Interpretation acquired a set of seven rolodexes from the dispersed collection of former Los Alamos National Laboratory employee Ed Grothus, who operated a salvage company of lab cast-offs, kwn as The Black Hole. Now part of the Center's Radioactive Archive, the rolodexes contain thousands of business cards kept by some unkwn office in the lab over the 1960s and 1970s--the peak of the arms race and its techlogical development. They are a physical record of everything from major military contractors to obscure high- and low-tech software widget suppliers--many of which are longer extant, or have evolved. The selection of 150 cards may be viewed as a snapshot of synergies between the business community and America's atomic might. On the one hand, they are a direct indexical connection from the recent past to the sources of creating the most sophisticated and powerful national defense techlogies in the world. On the other hand, they are obsolete information, relics of a former usefulness. As a specific printed historical record--superbly reproduced in full color--they are relevant to a potential understanding of the present; they are evocative evidence of the links that formed the secret techlogy of our nation.
- Author BiographyThe Center for Land Use Interpretation is a research and exhibition organization involved in exploring, examining, and understanding land and landscape issues. It is based in Culver City, CA.
- Author(s)Center for Land Use Interpretation
- PublisherBlast Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication31/12/2015
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBlast Books,U.S.
- Content NoteColor photos
- Weight285 g
- Width171 mm
- Height108 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.11
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.80Trending at AU $28.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.