All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis accessible textbook provides a clear introduction to the sounds of Spanish. Assuming prior kwledge of linguistics, it explains from scratch the fundamentals of phonetics (the study of speech sounds) and phology (the study of sound systems) and describes in detail the phonetic and phological characteristics of Spanish as it is spoken in both Spain and Latin America. Topics covered include consonants, vowels, acoustics, stress, syllables, intonation, and aspects of variation within Spanish. Clear comparisons are made between the sounds of Spanish and those of English, and students are encouraged to put theory into practice with over fifty graded exercises. Los sonidos del espal will help students gain a solid understanding of the sound system of Spanish and will also be useful to scholars in phonetics and phology. All the sounds described in this book are demonstrated in the online audio sound files which accompany this book.
- Author BiographyJose Ignacio Hualde is Professor in the Department of Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese and the Department of Linguistics at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- Author(s)Jose Ignacio Hualde
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication12/12/2013
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note58 b/w illus. 95 tables 82 exercises
- Weight700 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Other
- AU $4.06Trending at AU $7.20
- AU $14.95Trending at AU $15.52
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.23
- AU $15.84Trending at AU $20.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.