All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.39Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
About this product
- DescriptionThe British Isles have witnessed hundreds of battles in 2000 years of history. Some are well kwn, due to their far-reaching consequences, sheer scales or the involvement of famous protagonists. Others, however, have never been properly investigated. In this book, Martin Hackett examines ten forgotten battles, covering the length and breadth of Britain and ten centuries of warfare. At Buttington in the Severn Valley, the author has identified the site of a long-lost Dark Age battlefield between Danish Vikings and their English and Welsh opponents in 893. He reveals the secrets of St Albans, which witnessed the first battle of the Wars of the Roses, and the site of Goudhurst in Kent, where in 1747 the last battle on English soil was fought, a band of villagers against a gang of ruthless smugglers. A concise account of each engagement is provided, along with an analysis of its strategic, archaeological and political significance, complimented by a modern map of the battlefield with suggested tours and information on exploring the site today.
- Author BiographyMartin Hackett is the author of Fantasy Gaming and has had more than 80 magazine articles published on battlefields and associated military topics, rule systems, and wargames.
- Author(s)Martin Hackett
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2011
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight458 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.