CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionLost Churches of Mississippi is a collection of archival photographs, postcards, and drawings of more than one hundred table churches and synagogues vanquished by fire, disaster, development, or neglect. Constructed primarily from the mid-1800s through the early 1900s, these places of worship were often among the most visually prominent and architecturally striking buildings in Mississippi. Storms, floods, tornadoes, flames, bulldozers, or the disbandment of congregations razed what once was hallowed. In Lost Churches of Mississippi, architectural historian Richard J. Cawthon reclaims such teworthy churches as the old St. Paul's Catholic Church in Vicksburg, Bethel Presbyterian Church near Columbus, the old Trinity Episcopal Church in Pass Christian, and the old First Presbyterian Church in Yazoo City. Selections represent over fifty towns and cities throughout the state and are captured in 180 distinctive black-and-white illustrations from several historical archives and other collections. Cawthon discusses the architectural features and historical background of each house of worship and provides a brief introduction that illuminates the study of lost buildings, as well as a glossary of architectural terms and an antated bibliography. Lost Churches of Mississippi rescues a cardinal legacy and recognizes a portion of the state's rich architectural and religious heritage.
- Author BiographyRichard J. Cawthon, former chief architectural historian with the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, is currently a historic preservation specialist for FEMA's Mississippi Recovery Office and works on the state's Gulf Coast. He wrote the text for Victorian Houses of Mississippi and Historic Churches of Mississippi (University Press of Mississippi).
- Author(s)Richard J. Cawthon
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication30/05/2010
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content Note180
- Weight939 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.