Lost Libraries: The Destruction of Great Book Collections Since Antiquity: 2004 by Palgrave USA (Hardback, 2004)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $224.43+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $59.95+ AU $50.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.67
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.70
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.43
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.40
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $17.08Trending at AU $23.51
About this product
- DescriptionThis pioneering volume of essays explores the destruction of great libraries since ancient times and examines the intellectual, political and cultural consequences of loss. Fourteen original contributions, introduced by a major re-evaluative history of lost libraries, offer the first ever comparative discussion of the greatest catastrophes in book history from Mesopotamia and Alexandria to the dispersal of monastic and monarchical book collections, the Nazi destruction of Jewish libraries, and the recent horrifying pillage and burning of books in Tibet, Bosnia and Iraq.
- Author BiographyJEREMY BLACK Lecturer in Akkadian, University of Oxford, Fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford, and Director of the Electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature FRIEDRICH BUCHMAYR Archivist, Monastery of Sankt Florian, Austria MARGARET CONNOLLY Lecturer in Medieval and Renaissance Literature, University College, Cork, Ireland T. KEITH DIX Associate Professor of Classics, University of Georgia at Athens, USA ROBERT J. FYNE Professor of English at Kean University, New Jersey, and Senior Editor of Film and History REBECCA J. KNUTH Associate Professor of Library and Information Science, University of Hawaii, Manoa, Hawaii RICHARD L. KREMER Associate Professor of History, Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, USA CLARISSA CAMPBELL ORR Senior Lecturer in History, Anglia Polytechnic University, Cambridge, UK MARTYN RADY Reader in Central European History, School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University College London, and General Editor of The Slavonic and East European Review NIGEL RAMSAY Senior Research Fellow, Department of History, University College London, UK DAVID RUNDLE James P.R. Lyell Research Fellow in Manuscript Studies and Palaeography, University of Oxford, and Fellow, Corpus Christi College, Oxford, UK SEM C. SUTTER Assistant Director for Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Chicago Library, USA DOMINIQUE VARRY Maitre e Conferences Habilite a Diriger des Recherche, Ecole Nationale Superieure des Sciences de l'Information et des Bibliotheques (ENSSIB), Lyon, France RUI (RAY) WANG Government Documents Librarian, Humboldt State University, California, USA YULIN YANG Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Science, Northwest University, Xi'an, People's Republic of China
- PublisherPalgrave USA
- Date of Publication12/03/2004
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationGordonsville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight520 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byJames Raven
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.