All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionMax Arthur, bestselling author of the hugely popular Forgotten Voices series, recaptures the day-to-day lives of working people in the Edwardian era. The Edwardian era is often eclipsed in the popular imagination by the Victorian age that preceded it and World War I that followed. In this wonderful work, Max Arthur redresses this imbalance, combining oral history and images from the rediscovered Edwardian Mitchell and Kenyon film footage to give voice to the forgotten figures who peopled the cities, factories and seasides of Britain. This extraordinary period was fuelled by a relentless sense of progress and witnessed the invention of many of the techlogies we w take for granted. The extremes of this upstairs-downstairs world prompted a huge upsurge in political activity, and the Edwardian age saw the rise of socialism and the emergence of the suffragette movement. These years are made all the more poignant by our kwledge that World War I was imminent and this time of optimistic development would be brutally cut short. This exciting work draws together the experiences of people from all walks of life, capturing the first generation that were able to record their lives on film and imbuing them with an emotional immediacy.
- Author BiographyMax Arthur served with the RAF and he has written several best-selling oral history books about twentieth-century history in war and peacetime. He lectures on strategy and leadership and writes for the Independent. His previous books include 'Above All', 'Courage', 'Forgotten Voices of the Great War', 'Forgotten Voices of the Second World War', 'Symbol of Courage: A History of the Victoria Cross' and 'Lost Voices of the Royal Navy'.
- Author(s)Max Arthur
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication02/04/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note(b/w integrated illustrations - c. 65)
- Weight310 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.