All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionTwelve years after fighting against the British during the Anglo-Boer War, Louis Botha went to war on Britain's side. As prime minister of the Union of South Africa at the outbreak of the First World War, Botha agreed to lead his country on a campaign against the Germans across the border in South-West Africa. But first he would have to deal with a conflict at home. Many Afrikaners balked at the prime minister's decision, and so began a war on two fronts. While Union Defence Force troops gathered on the border and prepared to launch an offensive, a handful of Botha's former comrades incited an Afrikaner rebellion intent on keeping South Africa out of the war, or worse, siding with Germany. Louis Botha's War is the story of how a former Boer War fighting-general-turned-politician crushed a rebellion, rallied his country's first united army to fight in harsh conditions and defeated the enemy in the Great War's first successful Allied campaign. Botha's actions and these events would determine the fate of South-West Africa, and its relationship with its southern neighbour, for the next eighty years.
- Author BiographyAdam Cruise was born in Johannesburg and studied at the University of Cape Town and Stellenbosch University. He is a travel writer who has published articles in a variety of magazines and newspapers, as well as a book, In the pursuit of solitude, about a six-month journey through the remote recesses of southern Africa. He is also a conservation correspondent, whose commentary on significant wildlife matters such as the current elephant and rhino crises has been widely publicised. He currently lives in Nice, France.
- Author(s)Adam Cruise
- PublisherStruik Publishers (Pty) Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationCape Town
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintZebra Press
- Out-of-print date18/04/2017
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight360 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.