All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.02
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.85
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.27
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.22
About this product
- DescriptionFilmmaker Lourdes Portillo sees her mission as channeling the hopes and dreams of a people. Clearly, political commitment has inspired her choice of subjects. With themes ranging from state repression to AIDS, Portillo's films include: <cite>Despues del Terremoto, the Oscar-minated <cite>Las Madres: The Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo, <cite>La Ofrenda: The Days of the Dead, <cite>The Devil Never Sleeps, and <cite>Corpus: A Home Movie for Selena. The first study of Portillo and her films, this collection is collaborative and multifaceted in approach, emphasizing aspects of authorial creativity, audience reception, and production processes typically hidden from view. Rosa Linda Fregoso, the volume editor, has organized the book into three parts: interviews (by Fregoso and Kathleen Newman and B. Ruby Rich); critical perspectives (essays by Fregoso, Yvonne Yarbro-Bejara, Sylvie Thouard, Norma Iglesias, and Barbara McBane); and production materials (screenplays, script tes, storyboards, etc.). This invative collection provides inside information on the challenges of making independent films. By describing the production constraints Portillo has surmounted, Fregoso deepens our appreciation of this gifted filmmaker's life, her struggles, and the evolution of her art.
- Author BiographyRosa Linda Fregoso is the author of The Bronze Screen: Chicana and Chicano Film Culture. She is Professor of Women and Gender Studies at the University of California, Davis.
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2001
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleChicana Matters Series
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note58 b&w photos
- Weight851 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byRosa Linda Fregoso
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.