CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
About this product
- DescriptionJess Blakley, the man who wrote this book-longhand-gives us a first-person account of growing up during the Great Depression. He shows how love and laughter motivated his family of 12 to get by in their tiny four-room house, with very little money. He earned cash, though, by harvesting his own crop of broomcorn, raising pigs and selling 'possum and skunk hides to wandering fur dealers. Blakley's ambition drove him from the Texas farmland to the golden promise of California; then to the Nevada Test Site, where he was project engineer for the last U.S. above-ground atomic test. He wrote this book while caring for his wife, Geneva, who was afflicted with Alzheimer's disease. When he read various parts of the book to her, she would remember that period of their lives, if only for a moment. This is the heartwarming story of their lives and love.
- Author BiographyJess Blakley was born in 1923, to a poor sharecropper family in Central Texas. Ambitious from an early age, he worked hard--and smart--to get off the farm and go somewhere. And go he did, taking with him the woman he married and lived with 'til death did them part.They moved to California, where he became a tunnel construction engineer. That skill took him to the Nevada Test Site. There, he dug tunnels for this nation's last above-ground atomic tests Monday through Friday, and played poker in Glitter Gulch on weekends, meeting many exciting people.
- Author(s)Jess Blakley
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication23/03/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.