All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.14
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Broadway and Wall Street to the farthest reaches of New York's fabled subway system, and with numerous stops in between, this publication celebrates the occupational skills, crafts, kwledge, and traditions that have made New York legendary. Based on extensive interviews undertaken by Smithsonian Institution folklorists and researchers to document urban culture in the five boroughs at the turn of the millennium, Lox, Stocks, and Backstage Broadway introduces readers to a remarkable cast of artisans, workers, laborers, and artists - talented individuals whose jobs create, maintain, and nurture the very heart of Gotham. The book profiles workers from a wide variety of social and ethnic backgrounds, men and women who are eloquent in recounting their own stories, kwledgeable in relating the history of their beloved city, and avid about explaining the skills and challenges involved in practicing their chosen occupations. Their wisdom, humor, and humanity reflect the best of New York.
- Author BiographyNancy Groce is a folklife specialist and ethnomusicologist at the Library of Congress's American Folklife Center. She has served as a research associate at the Smithsonian Institution's Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage and managed four Smithsonian Folklife Festival exhibitions on the National Mall.
- Author(s)Nancy Groce
- PublisherSmithsonian Books
- Date of Publication24/09/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSmithsonian Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.