All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.98
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionThis image-filled book features outstanding works of Luba art from the Democratic Republic of Congo. Major themes to be addressed include the role of visual and performance arts in Luba traditional politics; the symbolism of the female image and why 'the king is a woman' for Luba; the instrumentality of royal insignia in politics, problem-solving, and healing; and the use of art objects in the creation and transmission of historical kwledge in both the Luba heartland and its peripheries. Case studies from the authors' long research among Luba, Tabwa, and related peoples of the Congo will illuminate the complex philosophical underpinnings of Luba thought and visual expression.
- Author BiographyMary Nooter Roberts is Deputy Director and Chief Curator of the Fowler Museum of Cultural History at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). She also served for a decade as Senior Curator at the Museum for African Art in New York City.Allen F. Roberts is professor of World Arts and Cultures and Director of the African Studies Center at UCLA.
- Author(s)Allen F. Roberts,Mary Nooter Roberts
- PublisherFive Continents Editions
- Date of Publication01/01/2007
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleVisions of Africa
- Place of PublicationMilan
- Country of PublicationItaly
- ImprintFive Continents Editions
- Content Note65 col, 92 b&w.
- Weight580 g
- Width168 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.