All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionSeeing and Believing is an illustrated overview of the work of contemporary Canadian artist Luis Jacob. An important figure on the Canadian conceptual art scene, Jacob has concentrated his career on the concept of 'seeing art'. Working as an artist, curator and writer, Jacob addresses issues of experience, interaction and site-specificity in his work, which has led to him exhibiting internationally at galleries including the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art, Toronto and the Guggenheim, New York. With Seeing and Believing Jacob joins the debate on the positions of the museum and viewer in contemporary art, focusing on three of his own exhibitions: Tableaux Vivants at Fonderie Darling, Montreal in 2010; Pictures At An Exhibition at theMuseum of Contemporary Canadian Art, Toronto in 2011; and L'oeil, La Breche, L'Image/The Eye, The Hole, The Picture at Musee McCord, Montreal in 2012. Images of the works featured and the exhibition spaces are accompanied by essays by each of the curators: Marie Fraser, David Liss and Anne-Marie Ninacs, respectively. Accompanying these is an essay by Jacob himself and an introductory essay by the Artistic Director of the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art, David Liss. Seeing and Believing is an important documentation of Jacob's work, as well as an insightful and informative perspective on this area of contemporary art. Also published in French, Seeing and Believing will appeal to artists, and anyone interested in curatorial/museum studies. A timely discussion on contemporary art, Seeing and Believing invites the reader to consider what is behind the image, and how it is informed by the museum/exhibition context and the viewer.
- Author BiographyLuis Jacob is an artist, rising in popularity, who lives in Toronto, Canada. Working as artist, curator, and writer, his diverse practice addresses issues of social interaction and the subjectivity of aesthetic experience. Solo exhibitions include: Pictures at an Exhibition, Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art (Toronto); Without Persons, Art in General (New York City); Tableaux Vivants, Fonderie Darling Foundry (Montreal); Group exhibitions include: Haunted: Contemporary Photography/Video/Performance, at the Solomon R. GuggenheimMuseum (New York) and Dance with Camera, Contemporary Art Museum (Houston) and Institute of Contemporary Art, University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia); and documenta12 (Kassel).
- Author(s)David Liss,Luis Jacob,Marie Fraser
- PublisherBlack Dog Publishing London UK
- Date of Publication28/02/2013
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlack Dog Publishing London UK
- Content Note150 illustrations
- Weight1179 g
- Width220 mm
- Height270 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.