All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, Marian Demos demonstrates the significance of three famous lyric quotations within their respective contexts in the dialogues of Plato. Demos reminds us that familiarity with the lyric poets was part of the educational background of Plato and his audience; therefore, she argues, Socrates is portrayed in the Platonic dialogues t only as a philosopher but also as someone with poetic sensibilities. Demos first investigates the Simonides poem in the Protagoras, showing that Plato has Socrates provide a fundamentally sound interpretation of the meaning of Simonides' words. She then argues that a purposeful misquotation of Pindar placed in the mouth of Callicles by Plato is t altogether implausible in light of the quotation's context in the Gorgias. Finally, Demos discusses Socrates' quotation of Stesichorus' palide in the Phaedrus. Demos' analysis of the important role played by lyric quotation in Platonic dialogues will be of great interest to students and scholars of Plato and ancient lyric poetry.
- Author BiographyMarian Demos is associate professor in the humanities program (classics track) at Florida International University. Her articles have been published in Harvard Studies in Classical Philology, Transactions of the American Philological Association, Classical World, and American Journal of Archaeology.
- Author(s)Marian Demos
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleGreek Studies: Interdisciplinary Approaches
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight154 g
- Width149 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine6 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.