Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $11.95Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the amazing true story of the real 'M', William Melville, MI5's founding father and the inspiration for Ian Fleming's character in James Bond . Melville was one of the most influential counter - espionage figures of the twentieth century. From a tiny outfit based in Victoria Street, London, the counter-intelligence organisation that Melville lobbied the Government to create is today a household name and one of the world's leading intelligence agencies. He was perfect for the job, a velvet-gloved hardman who had run Scotland Yard's Special Branch and whose career had already taken in some of London's great crime dramas including the Jack the Ripper investigations, countering Irish Republican terrorism, assassination attempts on Queen Victoria and anarchist bomb plots. Now, with help of recently declassified records, family material and documents that have still t officially seen the light of day, the story of his Secret Service career - including the breaking of German spy rings prior to the outbreak of World War I - can finally be told.
- Author BiographyAndrew Cook worked for many years as a foreign affairs and defence specialist and the contacts he made enabled him to navigate and gain access to classified intelligence services archives. He is only the fifth historian to be given special permission under the 1992 'Waldegrave Initiative' by the Cabinet Office to examine closed MI6 documents that will never be released. He is author of critically acclaimed Ace of Spies: The True Story of Sidney Reilly ('Both a compelling narrative and a myth-shattering tour de force' Simon Sebag Montefiore; 'The absolute last word on the subject' Nigel West), To Kill Rasputin and Prince Eddy, all published by Tempus. He is a regular contributor on espionage history to The Guardian, The Times and History Today. He lives in Bedfordshire.
- Author(s)Andrew Cook
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/10/2006
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Weight360 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.36Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.