Mabel Keeps Calm and Carries On: The Wartime Postcards of Mabel Lucie Attwell by Vicki Thomas (Paperback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $12.65+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $14.14Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'During the Second World War, I worked in an empty building by the Thames. It had been used by the Thames Conservancy Board. When war came, they moved out and I was moved in. I stayed there for most of the war. I never went down to an air raid shelter. I was too busy trying to make people laugh about wartime bread and sausages, instead of crying about them.' Mabel Lucie Attwell Mabel Lucie Attwell was one of Britain's best-loved artists with her work touching generations, from those who grew up with her classic characters, Bunty and the Boo-Boos, to those who have read Charles Kingsley's The Water Babies, which she famously illustrated. Her art has found its way into homes across the world through figurines, bathroom plaques and gift cards featuring her charming designs. Yet, many of her most poignant and humorous illustrations were created to cheer a world at war. She painted prolifically throughout the First and Second World Wars, with postcards featuring her child-like characters and tongue-in-cheek captions that were typical of her saucy sense of humour. Despite suffering loss and hardship herself during the wars she continued to encourage people to 'smile through the tears'. This book which brings a collection of her wartime postcards together exclusively for the first time, pays tribute to the indomitable spirit of this incredible woman and to her art that cant fail to raise a smile today for young and old alike.
- Author BiographyMabel Lucie Attwell (1879-1964) is famous for her tongue-in-cheek illustrations of children painted for adults. During the WWII, she was prolific in producing postcards aimed at cheering the nation. Her work continues to sell in 100,000s worldwide, including figurines, stationery, gift cards and a new clothing range to be launched in 2013.Vicki Thomas is a Design and Art Historian who represents the collection on behalf of the Lucie Attwell Estate. She has worked tirelessly to collate this collection of hundreds of images and the history behind them. She lives and works in London.
- Author(s)Vicki Thomas
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2013
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Notecol. Illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width170 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.