All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume presents lucid and insightful lectures on three great figures from the history of political thought, by John Plamenatz (1912-1975), a leading political philosopher of his time. He explores a range of themes in the political thought of Machiavelli, Hobbes, and Rousseau, at substantially greater length and depth than in his famous work of 1961, Man and Society. The lectures exemplify Plamenatz's view that repeated engagement with the texts of canical thinkers can substantially enrich and expand our capacity for political reflection. Edited by Mark Philp and Zbigniew Pelczynski, the volume includes antations to supply Plamenatz's sources and to refer readers to developments in their interpretation. A substantial introduction by Philp sets some of Plamenatz's concerns in the light of trends in recent scholarship, and illuminates the relevance of his work to the contemporary study of political thought.
- Author BiographyJohn Plamenatz (1912-1975) was a Montenegrin political philosopher, who succeeded Isaiah Berlin as Chichele Professor of Social and Political Theory at Oxford. The best-known of his many books on the political thought is Man and Society: A Critical Examination of Some Important Social and Political Theories from Machiavelli to Marx (1963). Mark Philp is Fellow and Tutor in Politics of Oriel College, and has been a Lecturer in Politics at Oxford University since 1983. From 2000-2005 he was Head of the Department of Politics and International Relations at the University. He is the author of Political Conduct (Harvard University Press, 2007) and Thomas Paine (OUP, 2007). Zbigniew Pelczynski is an emeritus fellow of Pembroke College, Oxford University. He has worked widely across the history of political thought and contemporary political theory.
- Author(s)John Petrov Plamenatz,John Plamenatz
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication28/06/2012
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight668 g
- Width163 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byMark Philp,Zbigniew A. Pelczynski
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.