All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionToday hundreds of thousands of Americans carry pacemakers and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs) within their bodies. These battery-powered machines-small computers, in fact-deliver electricity to the heart to correct dangerous disorders of the heartbeat. But few doctors, patients, or scholars kw the history of these devices or how heart-rhythm management evolved into a multi-billion-dollar manufacturing and service industry. Machines in Our Hearts tells the story of these two implantable medical devices. Kirk Jeffrey, a historian of science and techlogy, traces the development of kwledge about the human heartbeat and follows surgeons, cardiologists, and engineers as they invent and test a variety of electronic devices. Numerous small manufacturing firms jumped into pacemaker production but eventually fell by the wayside, leaving only three American companies in the business today. Jeffrey profiles pioneering heart surgeons, inventors from the realms of engineering and medical research, and business leaders who built heart-rhythm management into an industry with thousands of employees and annual revenues in the hundreds of millions. As Jeffrey shows, the pacemaker (first implanted in 1958) and the ICD (1980) embody a paradox of high-tech health care: these techlogies are effective and reliable but add billions to the nation's medical bill because of the huge growth in the number of patients who depend on implanted devices to manage their heartbeats.
- Author BiographyKirk Jeffrey is a professor of history at Carleton College, where he teaches American history and the history of technology. He is coauthor (with mathematician Loren Haskins) of Understanding Quantitative History.
- Author(s)Kirk Jeffrey
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication07/06/2001
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note9, 7 black & white halftones, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight658 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.