All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
About this product
- DescriptionIn Lawrence's Sons and Lovers and The Rainbow, and Gide's L'Immoraliste and La Porte etroite, the authors explore the destructive effects of cultural icons, narrowly codified gender roles, upon sensitive young European women at the turn of the century. Through an intricate subtext of allusive imagery, postures, language, and mythical patterns, Lawrence and Gide imply that a patristic Christianity had somehow enlisted certain strains of Romance to fashion a pervasive cultural code that encouraged young women to be virginal, passive, and receptive to suffering. The young female protagonists look to their roles as Madonna, Maiden, and Martyr as an escape from a provincial world that offers little to their overbrimming souls. Ironically, it is their Knight-Christs, the mentors who propose to teach them about the higher world, who imprison them further. Pretending to elevate them to the status of Spiritual Muse to inspire the male quest for selfhood, the lovers demand of their Madonna-Maidens a passivity whereby suffering is their only heroic act.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Richard T. Driskill was born in California in 1945, where he studied for thirteen years in Irish Catholic Schools, four with the Jesuits. After a tour in Vietnam as a Marine Corps helicopter pilot, he spent several years drifting and studying in Spain and France. Following more than a decade in Asia, he returned to Europe for a Ph.D. in Comparative Literature at Scotland's University of St. Andrews. He currently teaches English at Deerfield Academy in Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Richard T Driskill
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleSexuality and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number6
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1999
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight610 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.