All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $19.26
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explains what is actually involved in being a conductor and unravels some of the mystique that surrounds this intensely public profession. The author, who has worked with orchestras and opera companies all over the world, writes about all aspects of the art and craft, and discusses how a career can progress and is the result of the observation of many conductors in action. Features: 'The Craft that precedes Art' sets out the musicianship requirements and physical gestures that have to be subconsciously embedded during formal training; 'Roads to the Rostrum' covers the differing needs of a permanent or a guest contract, the pitfalls of building a programme and relationships, be they with the orchestras leader, soloists, composers, the audience or the critics; 'In the Theatre' is about conducting for opera and dance as distinct from concert conducting, and the process of preparing opera for performance; 'Janus on the Podium' is a resume of how conductors came into being and how they evolved into the powerful figures they are today; 'A Pilgrims Progress' describes the authors experience from his student days, to London, Glyndebourne and Australia as an example of how a career may unfold; 'The Index and Glossary of Terms' provides easy to understand explanations of tempo indications, the numerous dance styles, symphonic poems, etc. Written in n-technical language, this book is essential reading for all music lovers, as well as professional aspiring maestri.
- Author BiographyMyer Fredman studied with Sir Adrian Boult, and has assisted Otto Klemperer and Sir Charles Mackerras, and was the first Music Director of Glyndebourne Touring Opera. He received an Italian Government medal Per Servizio della Musica e Cultura Italiana, and has conducted the Royal Philhar- monic Orchestra and London Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Author(s)Myer Fredman
- PublisherSussex Academic Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2005
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSussex Academic Press
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight220 g
- Width229 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.