All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA perfected modern battle plan is like thing so much as a score for an orchestral composition, where the various arms and units are the instruments, and the tasks they perform are their respective musical phrases. Every individual unit must make its entry precisely at the proper moment and play its phrase in the general harmony. John Monash who was the most invative general of World War One? For Tim Fischer, the answer has to be Australia's John Monash, a man who, for all the recognition he received in his lifetime and after, has arguably t been given his proper due within the major military histories of this conflict. Fischer also asks why Monash was never promoted to Field Marshal, as international precedent suggested was most appropriate, pointing the finger primarily at the Australian prime minister from 1915 to 1923, Billy Hughes, within a wider context of establishment suspicion towards this son of a German Jewish migrant. Might t a posthumous granting of the Field Marshal rank w constitute a due reward for this great servant of the Australian nation, and a salutary reminder of his legacy?
- Author BiographyTim Fischer was born at Lockhart, near Jerilderie, in the Riverina and was educated at Boree Creek Public School, Xavier College Melbourne and at OTU Scheyville, graduating as a Second Lieutenant and serving with 1 RAR in Australia and Vietnam. In 1971 at the age of 24 he was elected to the New South Wales State Parliament, switching to the Federal Parliament in 1984 and was for ten years Federal Leader of the Nationals, including serving as Deputy PM and Trade Minister. On retiring from Parliament, he took up various philanthropic and corporate roles. From 2008 to 2012 he was Australian Ambassador to the Holy See, based in Rome. He is married to Judy Brewer and they have two sons.
- Author(s)Tim Fischer
- PublisherMonash University Publishing
- Date of Publication01/11/2014
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationClayton, VIC
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintMonash University Publishing
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight488 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.95Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.31Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $26.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.