All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.23
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume contains a series of provocative essays that explore expressions of magic and ritual power in the ancient world. The strength of the present volume lies in the breadth of scholarly approaches represented. The book begins with several papyrological studies presenting important new texts in Greek and Coptic, continuing with essays focussing on taxomy and definition. The concluding essays apply contemporary theories to analyses of specific test cases in a broad variety of ancient Mediterranean cultures. Paul Mirecki, Th.D. (1986) in Religious Studies, Harvard Divinity School, is Associate Professor of Religious Studies at the University of Kansas. Marvin Meyer, Ph.D. (1979) in Religion, Claremont Graduate School, is Professor of Religion at Chapman University, Orange, California, and Director of the Coptic Magical Texts Project of the Institute for Antiquity and Christianity.
- Author BiographyPaul Mirecki, Th.D. (1986) in Religious Studies, Harvard Divinity School, is Associate Professor of Religious Studies at the University of Kansas. He is the founding Chair of the Manichaean Studies Group (1988). His publications include a wide variety of books and articles on ancient Mediterranean religions with a primary focus on Greek and Coptic papyrology, including, with J. BeDuhn, The Light and the Darkness: Studies in Manichaeism and its World (2001) and, with C. Hedrick, The Gospel of the Savior: A New Ancient Gospel (1999). Marvin Meyer, Ph.D. (1979) in Religion, Claremont Graduate School, is Professor of Religion at Chapman University, Orange, California, and Director of the Coptic Magical Texts Project of the Institute for Antiquity and Christianity. He has published extensively on ancient Gnostic and Magical traditions, including The Magical Book of Mary and the Angels (P. Heid. Inv. Kopt. 685) (1996) and, with R. Smith, Ancient Christian Magic: Coptic Texts of Ritual Power (1994).
- Date of Publication18/05/2015
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Weight703 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byMarvin Meyer,Paul Mirecki
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.