Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.67
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.43
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $17.08Trending at AU $23.51
About this product
- DescriptionA deep and gorgeous study of the Magna Carta and how it still influences our world.<br/><br/> The year 2015 marks the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta, the Great Charter imposed on King John by his barons in the thirteenth century to ensure he upheld traditional customs of the bility. Though it began as a safeguard of the aristocracy, over the past 800 years, the Magna Carta has become a cornerstone of democratic ideals for all. After centuries of obscurity, the Magna Carta was rediscovered in the seventeenth century, and has informed numerous documents upholding human rights, including the American Declaration of Independence, the French Declaration of the Rights of Man, and the United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights. For Canadians, it has informed key documents from the Royal Proclamation of 1763 that shaped the then-British Colonies and their relations with First Nations, to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. This book complements the 2015 Magna Carta Canada exhibition of the Durham Cathedral Magna Carta and Charter of the Forest.
- Author BiographyCarolyn Harris teaches history at the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies. She received her PhD in European history from Queen's University in 2012. Her writing has appeared in numerous publications including the Globe and Mail, Ottawa Citizen, Smithsonian Magazine, and the BBC News Magazine, and she is a frequent guest on television and radio. She lives in Toronto.<br/><br/> Carolyn Harris enseigne l'histoire ? l'?cole d'?ducation permanente de l'Universit? de Toronto. Elle a re?u son doctorat en histoire de l'Europe de l'Universit? Queen's en 2012. Ses ?crits ont ?t? publi's dans plusieurs publications, dont le Globe and Mail, le Ottawa Citizen, la revue Smithsonian et le BBC News Magazine. Elle est souvent invit?e ? des ?missions de t?l?vision et de radio. Elle habite ? Toronto.
- Author(s)Carolyn Harris
- PublisherDundurn Group Ltd
- Date of Publication02/05/2015
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDundurn Group Ltd
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight337 g
- Width216 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.