All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionA revised edition of J. C. Holt's classic study of Magna Carta, the Great Charter, offering the most authoritative analysis of England's most famous constitutional text. The book sets the events of 1215 and the Charter itself in the context of the law, politics and administration of England and Europe in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. Additionally, a lengthy new introduction by two of Holt's former pupils, George Garnett and John Hudson, examines a range of issues raised by scholarship since publication of the second edition in 1992. These include the possible role of Archbishop Stephen Langton; the degree of influence of Roman and Can Law upon those who drafted the Charter; other aspects of the intellectual setting of the Charter, in particular political thinking in London; the Continental context of the events of 1212-15; and the legal and jurisdictional issues that affected the Charter's clauses on justice.
- Author BiographySir James Holt FBA was Professor of Medieval History, University of Cambridge, and Master of Fitzwilliam College from 1981-8. He died in 2014. George Garnett is a Fellow and Tutor of St Hugh's College, Oxford. He is the author of Conquered England: Kingship, Succession, and Tenure, 1066-1166, Marsilius of Padua and 'the Truth of History', and The Norman Conquest: A Very Short Introduction. He was also joint editor, with John Hudson, of Law and Government in Medieval England and Normandy: Essays in Honour of Sir James Holt. John Hudson is Professor of Legal History at the University of St Andrews and William W. Cook Global Law Professor at University of Michigan Law School. His books include The Formation of the English Common Law and The Oxford History of the Laws of England, Volume 2: 871-1216. He was also joint editor, with George Garnett, of Law and Government in Medieval England and Normandy: Essays in Honour of Sir James Holt.
- Author(s)J. C. Holt
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/05/2015
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note11 b/w illus.
- Weight910 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.