Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionMajor Problems In American Popular Culture, International Edition follows the highly successful Major Problems format. Each chapter comprises essays and documents that focus on a particular aspect of American popular culture. These essays and documents will prompt students to think about the centrality of popular culture in American life and its powerful role in forging identity, historical memory, and relationships among consumers, producers, citizens, and the state. They reinforce the idea that popular culture is the ground on which cultural and social transformations are worked. Race and class are at the center of the analysis, and these categories, along with gender and nationalism, thread through the chapters. They all argue for seeing popular audiences as active creators rather than passive receivers of popular culture.
- Author BiographyKathleen Franz is an associate professor of history and director of public history at American University. She has a Ph.D. in American Civilization from Brown University and specializes in 20th Century U.S. cultural history with a focus on popular culture and the history of technology. She's also an active curator and public historian who regularly works with local and national cultural institutions. In 2005 the University of Pennsylvania Press published her book, TINKERING: CONSUMERS REINVENT THE EARLY AUTOMOBILE. Susan Smulyan is a professor of American Civilization at Brown University. She holds a Ph.D. in American Studies from Yale University and is a cultural historian of the United States in the twentieth century and the author of two books: SELLING RADIO: THE COMMERCIALIZATION OF AMERICAN BROADCASTING (Smithsonian Institution Press, 1992) and POPULAR IDEOLOGIES: MASS CULTURE AT MID-CENTURY (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2007). In addition, she has worked on three large web projects: Whole Cloth: Discovering American History Through Science and Technology ; Freedom Now!: An Archival Project of Tougaloo College and Brown University ; and Perry Visits Japan. These websites exist at the intersection between faculty research and teaching. Professor Smulyan teaches courses in popular culture, advertising history, radio, digital scholarship, and American Studies methods. She was selected by the American Studies Association as a delegate to the Japanese Association for American Studies and has presented papers in France, Italy, New Zealand, and Australia. In spring 2009, she was a Faculty International Scholar, School of Historical Studies, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia.
- Author(s)Kathleen Franz,Susan Smulyan
- PublisherCengage Learning, Inc
- Date of Publication11/04/2011
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBelmont, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWadsworth Publishing Co Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition StatementInternational ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.